The 85 or so labeling and release-liner converting industry professionals attending today’s AWA Label Release Liner Seminar (the day before Labelexpo Americas 2012 opens for its three-day run) got plenty of market information and a good idea of what to expect in the years ahead. Here are some stats by way of AWA Alexander Watson Associates president/CEO Corey Reardon’s presentation:
Global Label Market Overall
- 46.85 billion sq meters of materials in 2011, climbing to 50.48 billion sq meters in 2013; rising about 4% a year to 2016.
- Worldwide label-market value in 2011 was US$28-30 billion.
- Market shares for various label formats in 2011 were glue-applied and pressure-sensitive (39% each), sleeving (15%), IML (2%) and others (5%).
Pressure-Sensitive Label Market Overall
- Worldwide p-s label growth is estimated at 3.5-4.0% a year through 2016; 80% of growth will come from emerging markets.
- Growth rates by region in 2011 were North America–1.5%, Europe–1.3%, Asia–7.1%, South America–8.1%, Africa/Middle East–4.8% and Overall–3.7%.
- P-s labeling growth in China and India were 11-13% last year.
- P-s label market is 50% primary-product labeling applications, 50% variable-information printing (VIP) label apps.
- Food is the largest end-use segment; HBA, pharmaceuticals, transport & logistics, and retail are key end-uses.
- P-s film facestock demand is growing 2-3X faster than paper facestock; the market is now 20% film and 80% paper.
Global Label Release Liner Market
- 2011 worldwide release-liner volume was 35.43 billion sq meters; this will climb to 37.74 billion sq meters in 2013.
- Regional market shares last year were North America & Europe (31% each), Asia (29%), South America (5%) and Africa-Middle East (4%).
- By substrate, global release-liner market shares in 2011 were glassine/calendered kraft (41%), polyolefin-coated paper (17%), clay-coated paper (15%), film (15%) and other papers (12%).
- Labelstocks account for 52% of all release-liner applications.
- Glassine/calendered kraft makes up 61% of all label release-liner apps.
- Film-based label liner’s market share will reach 10% in 2012, up from 8% last year.
- Label release-liner growth rates by region in 2011 were Asia–8%, South America–7.5%, Africa-Middle East–5%, North America–2.2%, Europe–1.7%, and Overall–4%.